Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Campfire Breakfast in a Skillet - total time 30 minutes


Until this year, I thought everyone went camping when they were kids.  I just thought that was part of growing up, your family spending a couple weekends, some times weeks, at a campground having fun outside.  I remember organizing our family's "field day" competition one year complete with SkipIt and paper ribbons hand colored and cut by yours truly.

Maybe that's why I love to be outside, get my hands dirty in the garden, stare at the night sky, and why bugs really don't bother me (unless they're mosquitos, mosquitos bother me a lot).  While I'd like to think of myself as a somewhat technically savvy individual, I can also disconnect from the interwebs and be okay (unlike these kids).

Since it is summer time, it's the perfect time get off the grid and recharge your batteries, literally and figuratively!  :)  Time to go for a hike, sleep under the stars, and cook over the fire.

For me, breakfast recipes need to be easy.  I'm not fully awake, and if it isn't easy, I might accidentally cut off a finger or something.  This recipe requires very little effort and includes minimal involvement of sharp objects.  It is very similar to the breakfast in a bag recipe (that I forgot to post, so, coming soon), but no chance of the cooking vessel breaking or burning in the fire.  If you like breakfast sandwiches, but would rather clean one pan instead of three... this is the recipe for you.



4 strips of bacon, cut in half
6 eggs
1 pack of biscuits
olive oil spray
salt and pepper

1.  Start your fire.  We have a camp stove, but a camp fire works too.
2.  Spray your pan with olive oil so you're not cleaning it for an hour.
3.  Cut strips of bacon in half and lay across the bottom of the pan.
4.  Crack eggs over the bacon and sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper.
5.  Lay biscuits on top of the eggs.
6.  Use aluminum foil to create a tent over the biscuits to trap the heat but not the steam.
7.  Place pan near the fire.  Flames should be near the bottom of the pan and can occasionally touch the pan.  Be careful handling the pan at any time as the whole thing will be VERY hot.  It will take 20-25 minutes to cook depending on your fire.  Peek under the foil to check on the eggs, once they appear to be done, it is time to remove the pan and serve breakfast.

camping breakfast camping breakfast
camping breakfast camping breakfast
camping breakfast camping breakfast camping breakfast camping breakfast camping breakfast camping breakfast
Yum

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know such things were possible while camping. I might have to try this when we go camping next month. :) Confessions of an Ex-Ballerina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still baffled by the fact you can do this inside a paper bag as well. But I saw it work with my own two eyes! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious! Love this idea. We don't camp a lot, but I might have to make this anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristina, this recipe works in the oven as well! You don't need the foil, just layer and bake according to the biscuit instructions! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...