Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Taco Bread - total time 40 minutes


I know I'm one of the anomolies that has cooked or baked just about everything on their food-related Pinterest boards, but there are still some recipes on there that I'm just not sure about.  Most of the foodstuff I pin look and sound delicious, with a couple tweaks, it's perfect for my somewhat picky pallet.  Other recipes look amazing, but sound much less appealing.  

That's how I felt about this taco twist that pinned over six months ago.  I love stombolis and I love tacos, but mixing the two together seems sacrilege.  I guess if I can do it to stuffed shells, I can do it to stromboli.  So, inspired by Bev's raving review, I checked another recipe off my Pinterest board.

Taco bread is basically begging to be dipped into something, whether it be guac (my fav), salsa, sour cream, or queso dip... the bread makes it nice and sturdy so you don't lose anything when you make your dunk.  The egg wash give the crust a good crunch with a fluffy inside and a savory filling.  I don't know what I was afraid of, taco bread is delish!


1 whole wheat dough ball
1 lb ground turkey
1 medium onion
1 large bell pepper (or 5 baby ones)
1 large tomato (or a cup of grape tomatoes)
1 cup monterey jack, shredded
1 tbsp chili powder
1 egg white
1 avocado
salt and pepper

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook ground turkey in a medium heat pan sprinkled with salt, pepper, and chili pepper.
2.  Chop up onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes (discard excess tomato juices).  Add onions and bell peppers to ground turkey after about 5 minutes of cooking.  After 3 minutes, add the tomatoes.
3.  Roll out the dough into an oblong shape.  Layer half of the cheese in the center of the dough.  Add the turkey and veggies mixture on top of the cheese.  Then layer the remaining cheese on top.
4.  Fold the edges of the dough to 'bundle' the taco filling and pat shut.  Flip over so the seam is underneath. Cut a few slits into the dough to allow steam to escape.  Gently brush egg white over the dough.
5.  Bake for 20 minutes.  While the taco bread is baking, prepare your guacamole by smashing an avocado, any leftover tomatoes and onion pieces, and some chili powder (half a teaspoon).
6.  Remove taco bread from oven and slice it up.  Let it cool for about 5 minutes before eating.

DSC08884 DSC08887 DSC08894 DSC08904  DSC08901 DSC08905DSC08917 DSC08921 DSC08923 DSC08925 DSC08927 DSC08928 DSC08932 DSC08933 DSC08940 DSC08941 DSC08948 DSC08950
Yum

2 comments:

  1. There for awhile I was making tons of recipes off my Pinterest boards, but I've gotten out of the habit. This has inspired me to go back and take a look at some oldies I pinned! This taco bread sounds really good to me actually. I'm all about the mashup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was really good. I've considerably slowed down on my Pinterest usage too (compared to boardline obsessive at the beginning), but it is such a great visual reminder for things I want to try.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...