Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole - total time 1 hour


Hmm, chicken cordon blue... I actually cannot recall ever having it before.  Something so infamous in the cooking world that the largest culinary school is named after it!  So it is about darn time!

I blame the ham... never been a fan (not with green eggs, in a box, or with a fox).  I don't know what it is about it though.  I am picky about bacon too.  It has to be a certain thickness and have a crunch... otherwise I won't eat it (no, bacon doesn't need to go on everything, ick).  However I haven't had a dish with prosciutto that I didn't like... but if you're making something with prosciutto, odds are you're making something special.

So let's make something special!  Turning chicken cordon bleu into a casserole takes out all of the pounding the chicken flat, rolling it all together, and then somehow securing it without having the cheese melt out.  It also takes the pan frying/searing out of the equation... so the not-so-healthy dish gets a little lighter.

Oh, and get some good swiss cheese!  The swiss cheese I have had in the past didn't have much flavor (so I usually avoid it in favor of goudas and white cheddars).  But the swiss I picked up was delicious and so creamy.  I couldn't stop snacking on it while I waited for the chicken to cook!  :)

6 chicken breasts
.5 cup cream
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp dijon mustard
8 prosciutto slices
8 oz swiss cheese, shredded
2 tbsp bread crumbs
pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter casserole dish, cut chicken into even pieces (chunks should be about 3 inches wide) and add to casserole dish.  Sprinkle pepper over top and bake for 10 minutes.
2.  Mix together cream, dijon, and minced garlic.  Pour mixture over chicken, layer on the prosciutto slices, sprinkle the cheese, and top with a sprinkle of bread crumbs.
3.  Bake for 30 minutes, broil for 1 minute to get the cheese extra bubbly, and let the casserole set for 10 minutes before serving.  Enjoy by itself, in a wrap, or on top of salad.  

DSC07009 
DSC07014 DSC07017 
  DSC07020 DSC07023 DSC07028 DSC07032
DSC07034 DSC07035 DSC07042 DSC07048 DSC07052 DSC07054 DSC07058
Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...