Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Broccoli Stuffed Chicken - total time 35 minutes

DSC04813

I used to buy those premade stuffed chicken breasts from the freezer section of my grocery store.  That used to be one of my "I'm in the mood to cook so I'll put these in the oven with some potatoes and we'll have a gourmet dinner that I slaved over a hot stove for".  How times have changed!  I don't even want to know what all was in those little plastic pouches.  I'm sure it was still better than going to a fast food place, but I would rather spend a little more time and energy on what is fueling my body.  Plus, I get to pick the filling... and I pick gouda!

This really is pretty easy.  If you start out with chicken cutlets, you really just lay out the chicken and filling, roll it up, and tie it closed.  I like to use really thick freezer bags covered in a towel to flatten meat... it keeps everything nice and clean.  And then another trick... instead of using toothpicks which can be hard to find once cooked and easy to find when you're taking a big bite... use baker's twine.  At the end you just give it one snip and the twine is easily peeled off.  Plus, it is usually in bright colors and easy to see once cooked.

This recipe is pretty versatile too.  Try it with turkey, pork, of fish.

1 lb chicken
4 slices of provolone or gouda
1 cup broccoli
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp butter
salt and pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Preheat cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
2.  Pound chicken thin, about half a centimeter thick.  Salt and pepper both sides of chicken.  Place cheese on one half of flattened chicken.  Sprinkle minced garlic and add broccoli.
3.  Fold chicken over and tuck the ends in.  Secure with baker's twine.
4.   Melt butter in skillet.  Sear the chicken in skillet on all sides, about two minutes per side.  
5.  Move skillet to oven and bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.  Remove twine and serve with some tomato sauce.

DSC04789 DSC04791
DSC04792 DSC04798
DSC04800 DSC04808
Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...