Alley's Recipe Book
Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book       Alley's Recipe Book    Alley's Recipe Book
Alley

Beet Ravioli - total time 2 hours


Beets... some people love them, some people hate them.  I guess I'm not really on either side.  Although I do not like beets from a can, all mushy and gross.  I ordered a sandwich with these canned beets on it while on vacay in San Fran... made me never want to try beets again.  But then last year I got them in my CSA order... they were yellow though.  I tried making a roasted beet soup with them... I must not have cooked them quite right.  It reminded me of baby food... gross.

Not long after the soup fiasco, I was standing in line with my friend... actually, I don't remember what we were waiting for... but I do remember the people in front of us.  This guy in front of us was talking to another guy about how kids do not eat their vegetables and that one day people will not remember what beets are.  This struck me as kind of funny.  First, this man was not much older than us to be having one of those "when I was your age" moments.  Second, my friend I was with happens to love vegetables (including beets), she also has a passion for cooking.  And third, how does one just forget a vegetable?  I guess we have lost many varieties from core vegetables and fruits, but they all still exist, right?  Losing a variety of apples does not make everyone forget apples still exist.

So, with anything, I always give it three strikes before ruling it out and beets only had two against it (neither were their fault).  I have always wanted to make my own ravioli and I saw something on Pinterest about colored pasta dough (the recipe used food coloring, but mentioned you could use beets).  Again, they came in my CSA delivery... this time they were traditional red.  ** You need some time to make this between roasting and cooling and kneading and cooling the dough, but really the recipe is quite simple. **


Dough
2-3 medium beets, roasted
1 cup flour
1 tbsp olive oil

Filling
.5 cup ricotta
.5 cup cream cheese
1 green onion
basil
salt and pepper

1.  Roast beets in oven for 1 hour.  Let cool in fridge for 5 minutes and peel beets.
2.  Add olive oil and beets to blender and blend into a paste.
3.  Scoop a mountain of flour on your counter and create a crevice.  Add a spoonful of beet paste and combine into flour.  Repeat until well combined.  Mold into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4.  Combine ricotta, cream cheese, chopped green onion, shredded basil, salt, and pepper in small mixing bowl.  Set aside.
5.  Roll pasta dough out as thin as you can get it.  Cut circles with a cookie cutter or cup.  Scoop one tablespoon of cheese mixture into each dough circle.  Wet fingertips with water, run around the edge of the dough, and seal closed.  Use a fork to crimp the edges closed.
6.  Boil raviolis for five minutes or until they start to float in the water.  Serve by themselves or with marinara.

No strike for beets this time!  They continue to be on the menu!








Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...